Tuesday, January 6, 2009

THE HEART POUNDS, AND THE MIND...


Step 1. Decide that for 20 minutes you won't worry about your job, or your bills, or your lover, or your spouse, or your weight, or your bank balance, or why that girl/guy you met at the bar last weekend hasn't returned your call, or that the fellow who lives next door is two years younger than you and drives a BMW, or anything else in the world.

Step 2. Turn off the television, turn down the lights, and put aside other distractions.

Step 3. Take a pair of good headphones and plug them into the pickup on your computer.

Step 3. Sit upright in a comfortable chair.

Step 4. Press 'Play' on the following video. Make sure the sound is up. The soft parts will be audible, and the loud parts might hurt a little bit, but I think that's the way it's supposed to be. Don't watch the video itself; it's pretty, but not terribly interesting. What's more interesting is what you will think about in lieu of the things you were thinking about a half-hour ago.

Step 5. For the next seven minutes - or as long as you wish - close your eyes, listen, and let your mind go where it will. I can tell you that when I listen to this sometimes I think about what it was like to be young and how strongly I felt my feelings as a child. I recall the excitement of exploring my neighborhood on a snow day after an ice storm. I remember campfires in the woods outside my best friend's house and warm summer nights drinking beer and listening to the cicadas in the oak trees. I think about the first girl I ever loved. I think about the last girl I loved too.

Repeat as desired.

No comments: